DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
► Department of Geography established in the year 1984, as minor subject to train the students imagine accurately the condition of the earth in which we live and help them to think about the conditions of environment, economical, political, and social problems in relation to the geographical phenomenon, and how the nature and geographical resources which are essential for the development of the country.
► In 1991, the geography has become one of the optional subjects.
KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PLANET EARTH AND ITS INHABITANTS.
- ► Equipping graduate students to meet the challenges associated with the continuing evolution of geographic science while providing them with vibrant and fulfilling educational experiences.
- ► Applying geographic science to societal and environmental issues in our state, the nation and the global community.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF GEOGRAPHY
- ► To acquaint the students with the living conditions of men in different parts of the globe.
- ►To enable the pupils to acquire a knowledge of natural resources.
- ►To develop in pupils an understanding of how environment and climatic factors have influenced our life.
- ►To help the pupils to acquire knowledge of their physical and social environment and thus to broaden their outlook.
- ►To develop in them an understanding of basic concepts, principles and theories relating to geographical phenomena.
- ►To train the pupils in nature study.
- ►To develop the power of thinking, reasoning, memory and power of imagination of pupils.
- ►To develop their ability to draw conclusions and to generalize.
- ►To develop a love for nation and to develop cosmopolitan and internationalist outlook.
- ►To develop the creative talents of pupils and to develop an attitude of discovery in them.
- ►To develop the skills of reading maps and globes, to develop drawing and measuring skills, and to develop the skill of using and manipulating geographical instruments.
- ►To enable the pupils to appreciate the natural beauty and other physical forces.
- ► To help the pupils to acquire economic efficiency and lead a successful life.
- ►To adjust human life in accordance with geographical circumstances.
- ►To develop scientific attitude and to develop the ability to draw valid conclusions and independent thinking.
In fact, Geography today is a combination of art and science. Its scope and study is broad and comprehensive. Geography has well established itself as a science.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE GEOGRAPHY
Geography studies the earth in relation to mankind. Man’s life is mostly shaped by the environment in which he lives and Geography studies the relation between the earth and man.
According to Macnee, “Geography is the study of earth as the home or in other words, Geography is the study of environment of man, physical and social, particularly with relation to human activities.” Geography has been derived from the words, ‘geo’ and ‘graphy’. ‘Geo’ means earth and ‘graphy’ means ‘study’ or ‘description’.
So, Geography means description of earth. Geography studies all the three aspects of earth, viz. lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere.
Geography is related to other social sciences and we can study them better with a background of Geography. Geography is related to economic progress. Geographical factors influence agriculture, industry, trade, commerce and other aspects of economic development.
Knowledge of Geography is essential for business, trade, commerce, agriculture, industry, navigation, military operation, and spacecraft and even for balancing and administration.
Thus, Geography influences the economic, social and cultural life of a nation. Knowledge of Geography is essential for successful living. Because of its practicable intellectual, cultural and economic value, Geography has assumed a unique place in the school curriculum.
The subject Geography has wide scope and has many job opportunities after completion of Graduate and Post Graduate they can have the following job opportunities.
- ► I A S & K A S officer
- ► Commercial/residential surveyor.
- ► Environmental consultant.
- ► Geographical information systems officer.
- ► Planning and development surveyor.
- ► Town planner.
- ► Tourism officer
- ► Cartographer
- ► Landscape architect
- ► Nature conservation officer
- ► Climate Change Analyst
- ► Climatologist
- ► Secondary school teacher.
- ► Lecturer at PU and Degree Colleges.
- ► Geospatial analyst
- ► GIS specialist
- ► Hydrologist
- ► Location analyst
- ► Meteorologist
- ► Pollution Analyst
- ► Remote Sensing Analyst
- ► Water conservation officer
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Since the inception of the Geography Department the result percentage is 95 to 100%.
- 2001-02 1st rank to the Karnataka University Dharwad (Miss. S.S. Sindagi)
- 2012-13 IX rank to the Karanataka State Women University Vijayapur, in 20012-13 (Miss. Yasmeen. Mulla)
- Record in the history of university to get hat trick in 1st Rank from 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17,
|2013-14 Suman Patil
|2014-15 Heena Nadaf
|2015-16 Vijayalaxmi Hiremath
|2013-14 – Vijayashri Kubkaddi
|| IV rank
|2013-14 Asma Nataras
|2014-15- Heena Kausar Nadaf
|2014-15 Samreen Maniyar
|2015-16 Vijayalaxmi Hiremath
|2015-16 Mahananda Shigunsi
|2016-17 Alfia tarnnum Bilagi
|2016-17 Auroshikha Hiremath
- ► Establishment of Weather Station
- ► Establishment of ICT Facility in the department
- ► Upgraded Geography Laboratory with Maps, Models and Instruments.
FACULTY OF THE DEPARTMENT
- MR. SHANTKUMAR. R. BIJAPUR. Associate Professor
- MR. MOHAMMED HASAN. M. BAGALKOT. Associate Professor